Blue-Eyed Tracy

Friday, September 15, 2006

What's New In My Corner of the World

One of my favorite bloggers, Judy, asks "what's new . . .?" so I"m replying - even though the post was not for me directly. It still works.

The sun is setting earlier, and since I live in SoCal, this becomes the marker of fall's approach, much more than a change in temprature. Often September can be one of the hottest months of the year round these parts. However, the angle of the sun on our house, and the shorter days are reminding me of the changes to come. Although, once it is officially fall, it won't really be fall-like until November. The nights get cooler, and I do enjoy that part.

My little guy was all set to go to preschool. We enrolled him, had the pile 'o paperwork filled out, and he even had attended their summer camp as a way to get him accustomed to the place. But, when it was all said and done, we decided to keep him home one more year. He'll be 4 in December, and even with staying out this year, he'll get a full year of preschool next year before he in enrolls in Kindergarten in '08. That's plenty for us and it's all working out fine. (Plus we're saving money, so that part is great, too). I felt great about the decision - making it, talking to the school, talking to friends and family - it all went great and I've had tremendous peace about the whole thing. But, now I'm living with the day-in-day-out life of no preschool. Read: no break for mom. Some days it is tough. (As I told my spouse the other day, "I don't like my job today.") You know, it's all moving forward and the days of him being home for the whole day are numbered, so while I do long for a break at times, I know it's comming in a year, so it's ok. Two days after our decision we read this.

I don't really know what to do about this whole blogging thing. I like it - I really do. And I think of posts all day long in my head, but my life demands that I do other things right now. To sit at the computer and really bang out a great read on my ponderings of . . . .well, . . so many different things (where do I start?!). I think the reason writing is referred to as a 'craft' is that it is one. And in trying to craft something relevant, thought provoking, with good punctuation and no spelling errors, with a good flow and a nice variety of vocabulary to keep it interesting - well . . . , it just requires more time and concentration than staying home with a 3-year-old will allow. Yes, I do have the nights, but frankly I'm so tired by the end of the day that a post just becomes work for me - and not very enjoyable. Serious writers would be quick to remind me that wrtiting is work, and good writers have to work at it everyday. I'm sure they do. I'm sure the time already put in by this writer is a reason why his work seems so effortless, beautiful and enjoyable to read. Man, the man can write! And I KNOW that what I put out -even with a lot of work, focus and concentration - doesn't even sound half as good. Well, if I compare myself to every great and established writer, nothing - blog or otherwise - will ever get off the ground for me. If nothing else I appreciate the platform this blog gives me to think aloud on such matters. (Even as I write this, the young child is summoning me to 'come play Star Wars'. How many more times can I say, "In a minute sweetie"?)

Ok, anything else going on here in my 'corner'? Maybe I should refer to it more as my 'backyard' since I'm kind of going on and on here. One of my ponderings the other day had me questioning ideas of what christian women do, and how they link that to their faith. Care of the home, or "keeper of the home" to use the quote that so many Christians refer to, gets raised to a level that just isn't addressed in the Word. How clean one's home is, and how organized a gal might be in how she carries out the tasks of cooking, cleaning and caring for children, becomes in many circles the standard by which women are measured. Not only are they measured, but measured by each other, no less. The place where I heard the most said on this subject in the past was in the women's ministry circle at my local church. Well, much better things have been written on this, so I'll defer to Chewymom. I just know that some of my lowest lows in my spiritual jouney came when I was trying to live and measure myself according to such standards. Two words come to mind: legalism & pharisee. Why are we so darn prone to those things? God offers grace, and we want to come up with the yardsticks and standards to measure others by. If I ever even came close to attaining the 'standard' that we set out for ourselves, would I even need the grace of God? We receive his grace and then try to work ourselves out of needing the very thing Christ offers us .

Well, I began this post in the mid-day hours, and have tried to continue it into the evening, but I've hit the wall. Exhaustion mixed with fatigue and throw in some yawning, and that's me right now. Done.

1 Comments:

  • I too, am concerned with the way they are treating young children in the school system.

    I enrolled Mr. P in preschool, but is more of an old-fashioned one that lets them do kid things, not so much academic.

    We are also going to keep him back next year, entering kindergarten the same year as yours. So, I will probably enroll him in a more academic-leaning one next year.

    Good to hear from you, Tracy.

    By Blogger Gina, at 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home