Blue-Eyed Tracy

Friday, June 03, 2005

Another Good Quote

"How often do we perceive mere well wishing as adequate aid to our brother's struggles over tangible services that we could immediately offer?
Humility? What is humility? From what I observe, I know it as a means of manipulation. I have been taught it as a tool to position others for my own gain. I do not really know it in the full context of elevating you over me, your needs above my own."

"I am an idealist of brotherly concern, not a practioner. I am a professor of its belief; at times I even claim it as my own, but ultimately the absence of deed testifies against me. I am the double-minded. I am the forgetful of Your Word."
This quote is from The Broken Messenger, entry dated Wed. June 1. Go here.

These statements, and his entire post, were very convicting to me. I can become so wrapped up in my own need, how I want to be ministered to and cared for, that I completely forget about serving others. It's tough, especially if you've been jaded by living amongst some of the "(using humility as) a tool to position others for my own gain" crowd. Cynicism creeps in and rather than having compassion towards others, I judge and analyze what they should have done for themselves to keep themselves out of such messes. I can almost hear myself praying at times, "Thank you, Lord that I'm not like so-and-so over there" and forgetting that I'm merely seeing a fraction of what happens. I don't see the whole story - but God does. He looks at the heart and not at the outward appearance. I need a humble heart to see as God sees.

Then I saw this too. Shaq is paying for that guy's funeral. You know, I realize that he has ALOT of money, but so do alot of other people and he didn't have to do this. But, he did.

1 Comments:

  • Tracy,

    Sometimes you wonder if anyone reads a confessional post like this one. Well, you did, you responded and I am blessed. Thank you for your kind words and for your candor in sharing what was on your heart. It's good to know that this open air tussle was encouraging to you. By the way, love the blog, keep posting. God bless.

    Brad

    By Blogger Brad Huston, at 5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home