Blue-Eyed Tracy

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Dishes are Waiting

I'm writing another post, knowing that as soon as I'm done I must be on to the dishes. I've been blog surfing and came accross one where 30+ comments were posted about what SAHM's do once the kiddos are in bed. Here's what I found interesting. . . . mom's who told of what time their children rise in the morning. Their responses revealved that most of them get up and attend to the kids at that time, when the kids wake up. Ok, where am I going with this. . . . . we have some freinds who have this thing about how early their kids get up, and at times they request that kids go back to sleep so mom and/or dad can get some more snooze time. That is so not my reality, and it seems to be the case with most of the mom's who commented here - not their reality either. It's not being "child centered" (or any other christian parenting faux pas) to get up when your kids do - right? Am I right here people?

I guess I bring it up because my husband upon hearing of what our friends do, suggests that we sometimes (read: weekends) get more sleep by requesting that little boy go back to sleep. I don't think that's going to work. . . we say that 6 days a week he wakes up and we get him and begin our day, but one day he now needs to go back to sleep. We've sort-of tried it, but he doesn't really go back to sleep. Sometimes he'll play in his crib, but for only twenty minutes or so. Maybe once he's in a big boy bed he can just get up and play on his own for a short time. . . ???? Please feel free to share any thoughts on this. 6:45am is the wake up time, sometimes earlier when dad/husband has an early workday. It doesn't really phase me since I'm more of a morning person. I'm almost always in bed by 10pm. So, I'd better go so I can make my "bedtime".

3 Comments:

  • Hi Tracy. This is the first time I've read your blog. I'll keep it on my list, for sure. I grew up in SoCal, moved away when 21 when I got married. Still have parents/siblings in SoCal too. Anyway.

    One sure thing about parenting is that everyone is different and you have the freedom to do it however you want. (within God's limits of course). When you get up in the morning, or when you 'allow' your child to get up, is your own business. I have 4 children, ranging from 5 to 14. They've all had different needs and habits when it comes to sleep. When they're not in a crib they get up whenever they want on weekends. If we feel like staying in bed, we do. Do whatever you want. You're not spoiling your child by getting up when he wants!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:40 AM  

  • The really good moms are the ones who figure out what works for them and their families and what works for their children. We've always let the eldest climb into bed between us on Saturday mornings and watch television while we slept for another 30 minutes or so. Now that he's six, he has to wait until 7 a.m. to come in and wake us. Of course, his 19-month-old sister usually beats him to it, and she's not old enough yet for the television ploy.

    Do what works best for you and don't worry with what works for another mother.

    By Blogger Chel, at 8:51 AM  

  • Hey Trac!
    So here's my 2 cents to add to the mix about getting up with kiddos...

    My goal: to be up BEFORE them so I can have a moment to myself with God, pray, etc. I'd love for them to get up and find me sitting in the living room, praying and reading my Bible.

    My reality: I get up when my 4-year-old has asked for the third time for me to make him his breakfast. And then sometimes I go BACK to bed after I have him situated in front of the tv with his breakfast.

    Soooo...should I work at attaining my goal? Of course. Am I? Yes, a bit. But, I honestly don't think I'm a bad mom for how I do it now. I know childhood goes quickly and you only get one chance with your kids, but the flip side of that is, I do have several more years (in which I won't be meeting their EVERY small and large need 24/7) in which I can aspire to and even reach my goal!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home