Blue-Eyed Tracy

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Helping Me

Before I begin my 'real' post I have to say, I was halfway through writing it and I hit some key (which one I don't know!) and my post just disappeared! Why are computers SO LAME sometimes?! Ok, onto my post.

My son has a phrase he likes to use when he's offering his help. "Helping me?", to which I reply, "Yes, you are helping me - thank you so much." It's very sweet. Although, I have to admit I don't always appreciate his efforts to 'help' me. I've been reflecting lately on some things in life that are pretty helpful to me right now. Here's a list - it n no particular order.

- My new front loading, extra-large capacity washer and dryer. Doing the laundry used to be such a chore, but now I almost enjoy it. I laughed when the delivery guys told me how these appliances would change my life - but they have. And they are so quiet. That is key when your washer and dryer are in your kitchen.

- Attending Al-Anon meetings. I've been going regularly now for a month and they so help me with my perspective on life. Growing up in an alcholoic home tends to load one up with quite a bit of baggage, and I didn't even realize how much of it I'm lugging around each day. The phrase "co-dependent" tends to be very cliche nowadays, but if the description fits. . . . .
My whole life revolved around what other people were doing, or more accurately put, not doing - especially, if in my opinion, they really needed to be doing it. I wondered how people could be so carefree - and, well . . happy. Even in spite of very imperfect relationship circumstances. I'm now learning. I have quite a ways to go . .but, I'm learning.

- Prayer. It always helps - and yet I still somehow manage to forget to do it. And then I wonder why I'm feeling so down, hopeless, and bugged. It's not a magic wand, but it always helps.

- Other bloggers book lists. I wasn't tagged on this one, but the responses from the other tag-ee's have given me a new reading list I'm eager to get started on. Barbara's (www.mommylife.net) included the Big Book of Al-Anon, which I should get soon. I'm also anxious to try Madeline L'Engle's Circle of Quiet, reccommended by Mel (http://melodee128.blogspot.com/), and a new one just released yesterday, Julie Ann Fidler's Adventures in Holy Matrimony. I was able to read the first chapter at Relevant Magazine (www.relevantmagazine.com/) and now I need to read the rest.

- And finally, thanks to my nephew (13), who watched my son yesterday afternoon so I could go get a pedicure & coffee and hang out with his mom. Such a great break!

2 Comments:

  • Having your own washer/dryer seriously rocks. I share in the joy!

    And you're right about prayer too...not a magic wand but it does help bring about peace.

    By Blogger Jana, at 5:41 AM  

  • I hope you like that book! :)

    By Blogger Melodee, at 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home