Blue-Eyed Tracy

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Why Are We So Full Of Ourselves

Peggy Noonan has a great column today. I think her observations and questions about our leaders in politics are right on the money. Sometimes I think the same could be said of so many of us. . . including myself. We're so quick to qualify ourselves - so that others know what we're about to say has some merit, or something. My words shouldn't deserve merit because of the person saying them. . . it should be the words themselves that inspire, encourage, and ultimately lead to thoughts that become actions. Those actions become a life of integrity. We don't have to talk about our integrity, because our lives speak for themsevles. We don't have to mention our humility; it's obvious as we seek to become lesser, or in the words of John the Baptist, "He must become greater; I must become less." (NIV). Peggy refers to Billy Graham in her column as a contrast to those with "wildly inflated self-regard". She calls Billy a "great man" and goes on to say "He bears within him the deep reservoirs of sweetness". I wholeheartedly agree with her. His last crusade will be the end of an era in our nation. I don't know that many other men, in politics, ministry or anywhere for that matter, who have the quiet humility he lives out so clearly and beautifuly. He somehow balances spreading the gospel, which requires talking to people, with not becoming too self-aware as he does it. The person of Billy Graham does not detract from the message of Billy Graham - and maybe that's it. Because it's not Billy's message he's delivering - its God's message - the Good News of Christ. A great piece on Billy's appeal can be found here.

Another man in the political realm who comes to mind as one of those who doesn't succumb to the self-aggrandizing is Bill Bennett. You can agree or disagree with the man's religion and politics, but whenever I've seen him he's always a class act. He speaks clearly, humbly and incredibly intelligently. He has a syndicated radio show that I wish I could hear. . .it does air in LA, but at 3am. (Hmmm . . both of these men I refer to have the first name "Bill" or "Billy". Mabye I could have called this a tale of Three Bills, and then tacked a certain former president on as an example of how NOT to be a class act . . but I digress.)

I will say for me, the main reason I become so full of myself, my thoughts, my theories, ME - is because I'm not full enough of God. He created me for goodness sake, and yet I want to promote ME every chance I get. It almost gets to the point of this piece of clay telling the Potter, "You know, God, things would really be much better if I told you just how to mold me, in fact, I think I'll mold myself, thank you very much." Do you think God ever laughs to himself about us: "Those little pots of clay sure do like to hear themselves talk." Rather than worrying about how I'll look, or shallow attempts to be witty or smart I need to ask for His wisdom, and His ways. "He must become greater, I must become less."

1 Comments:

  • You go girl. You need your own column...oh wait, you have one! Right here!

    By Blogger Jana, at 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home