Blue-Eyed Tracy

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Center of the Universe

I've got a question (or two) for anyone who so desires to answer. What exactly does it look like to have your life revolve around your child? When is someone being a responsible, dedicated & loving parent, and when do they officially "cross the line" into possible obsession? When sacrifices are required be a parent, how does one defend such sacrifices as a normal part of parenting? The time one has to be a parent at any one particular phase is so short, and as I'm reminded by so many, it all goes by quickly. So, I do try to savor the moments as best I can and take advantage of the time and opportunities. I have happy memories.

By the way, the sleeping in the 'big-kids-bed' is generally going well. It took about 4 nights for him to get used to it, and now he doesn't ask to sleep in his crib anymore. He does imagine that things in his room are something scary, and so we go around and point out how it's not scary because it's just a toy, shadow, etc.

I'm officially feeling old today because I've started taking a 'Women's Multi Vitamin'. I will be 35 in about 6 weeks, and it freaks me out a bit. I'm hoping the vitamins will help with my energy levels, or lack thereof.

The posts will get more interesting . . . .. I promise.

3 Comments:

  • I think it might be when you cannot bring yourself to be away from your child. Even when the child is an infant, I think it is important to have some "me" time.

    I'm curious as to what prompted this, Tracy? Was someone "down" on SAHM's or something? I really resent anyone who thinks I don't have a life simply because I don't choose to work outside the home.

    You are absolutely correct in that it DOES all go so fast and being there for every moment makes me feel like I am missing nothing from the "real" world.

    What could be more real than taking care of your child?

    By Blogger Gina, at 9:52 PM  

  • Hey Trac,
    I'd like to elaborate on this more, but I have only a sec at the moment as my two sons will very soon need me...which both brings me to and rather makes my point: when one is a parent, life simply DOES revolve around your child/children!!!!!! This is not a bad thing and in fact, I strongly believe that anyone who says it is is either 1) not a parent or 2) had a bad experience growing up with their parents so has come to this faulty conclusion about parenting in general. To a certain degree one can get hung up on semantics in that "having your life revolve around your child" could mean being obsessed by them but I don't think it takes a Rhodes scholar to know the difference. A life of obsession is unhealthy, utterly consuming and lacks common sense whereas a life "revolving around" a child is otherwise known as normal, loving parenting which I might add is also inherently sacrificial! As I said, my boys now need me so I have to run (CASE IN POINT!) so here's an undiplomatic, admittedly uneffective response that I can't help but say at least here in regard to the whole thing: Anyone who criticizes a mom for "letting" her life revolve around her child needs to GET A CLUE AND GROW UP!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:53 AM  

  • I'm 47. Trust me. TAKE THE VITAMINS!

    By Blogger Judy, at 8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home