Blue-Eyed Tracy

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Bye Bye Pacifier

Yes, my child has used a pacifier since he was 3mo. old. We restricted it to nap/bedtime use when he was about 15mo. old. It helped him so much through all his teething as well as some transitions (our move to this house last year for example). After talking to a friend about it this morning, I decided that today was the day. He's been in a big boy bed for almost 3 weeks now, and overall likes the idea of being a 'big boy'. So, I've capitalized on that phrase as I helped him to understand that the pacifier would not be used anymore. We've also been reading a book called 'Bye Bye Pacifier' where little Miss Piggy gives up her pacifier. He did pretty well at naptime . . . .he asked for it alot, he then protested "no" in his bed repeatedly for a few minutes and then transitioned to singing "no" to the tune of the Star Wars theme. Shortly after that he fell asleep. This evening was a little more difficult. I did his usual bedtime routine with him and he asked for pacifier again, and again . . .and AGAIN. Each time I told him it wasn't coming back and tried to remain calm and help him focus on other things (his blankie & stuffed dog). Once I officially put him "to bed" I had to go back in twice (he was yelling "I WANT PACIFIER") to talk with him, give lots of hugs, and reassure him that it would be ok. Over an hour since the original bedtime, he seems to be settling down. I'm preparing myself for a nighttime waking (or two) as he looks for it in the night. I'm hopeful this won't be too hard . . . . for either of us. It seems like a pretty good time to do it (as if there is ever a 'good' time) . . .and there are other things comming up - vacation, his starting preschool, and the inevitable colder weather colds - that would mean more difficulty in getting over giving up the pacifier. I'm hoping for the best. If you think about it, PLEASE PRAY . . . . for the both of us.

1 Comments:

  • It can be so hard to wean them from their comfort objects.

    I will definitely keep you guys in my thoughts.

    By Blogger Gina, at 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home